Lenovo Fabfinder rules
April 8, 2016
- Students 13 years of age and older.
- Short video (up to 1 minute) that shows us why we should consider you as a FabLab correspondent and a reporter on STEM topics to be featured on FabLab.
- Any person in the USA can enter to be a reporter on FabLab utilizing the Lenovo Fabfinder entry form.
- Entrants do not have be STEM super stars, just have a passion for advocating STEM.
- Enter as many times as you would like with different videos.
- Enter March 3 at 12:00AM PST - July 4, 2016 at 12:00AM PST.
- Complete the Entry Form at FabLabTV.com/Fabfinder and upload your video.
- Contest begins March 3rd and ends May 3rd
- Entrees will be voted on as part of a nationwide talent search
- Entry video must be in English
- Winners announced online and on FabLabTV.com
WHAT ARE WE LOOKING FOR?
- A passion for STEM and desire to encourage others to look at STEM
- Diversity – Young people that truly represent role models for STEM
- Energy – We're looking for young people who share our vision of STEM making the world better through technology and innovation, and who are SUPER excited to spread the word.
- Individuality – We need infectious curiosity and a group of FabLab-ers who are truly FAB. We don't want cookie cutters, we want individuals who can help show how STEM has many faces and many styles and isn't just geeks and boys.
Fabfinder is a Lenovo-sponsored talent search for up-and-coming reporters to appear in FabLab, a multi-media initiative featuring STEM opportunities for teens. FabLab focuses on inspiring teens girls to explore career fields they may not have considered, opening interests and possibilities that could last a lifetime. The Lenovo Fabfinder talent search gives young people a chance to showcase their interest in STEM and connect with the next generation of STEM leaders.
The FabLab television series launched nationally in January 2016 showcasing STEM ideas, solutions and opportunities for young people from 13 to 19 years of age. The show highlights how STEM makes a positive difference in the world by covering current events in STEM, technologies and innovation from the perspective of young people.
Through support from Lenovo, the Fabfinder talent search seeks to identify STEM stars from 13 to 19 year old students through a national competition to serve as reporters for the show (“Contest”). Whizbang Productions (“Producer”) is the producer of FabLab (the “Program” or “FabLab”), a television series and digital media network featuring educational and informational content related to science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM).
Producer is seeking submissions by eligible members of the public of their videos showing them talking about or doing an activity related to science, technology, engineering or math in an authentic and unique way for possible posting on FabLab digital channels and/or telecast in accordance with the rules set forth herein. At Producer's sole discretion, videos submitted may also be posted on, but in no way limited to, the FabLabTV.com website, the FabLab fan page on Facebook, and/or Youtube.com/FabLab and may be further used as stated herein and/or in the submission materials. Only videos conforming to broadcast standards and practices, based on Producer's judgment, as determined in their sole discretion, will be eligible for consideration in the Contest.
- Eligible persons wishing to enter may upload as many different videos as they wish by following the instructions on the website (FabLabTV.com)
- By following instructions on the website. Submitting your video(s) on the aforementioned website and agreeing to the official rules thereof transfers exclusive ownership in the submitted video to Producer.
- All submissions become the sole property of Producer and may be used in any manner, commercial or otherwise, in any and all media and/or technologies now known or hereafter devised throughout the universe in perpetuity. Producer is not responsible for lost, damaged or misdirected videos under any circumstances. Please keep a copy of your submission.
- FabLab is broadcast in High Definition (HD) so, if submitting videos via the FabLabTV.com website, or the FabLab Official fan page on Facebook, please submit your highest quality video file up to 2 GB. The recommended and preferred specifications are 30 or 60 Frames Per Second with 1920×1080 or 1280×720 Resolution. Other resolutions and Frames Per Second are acceptable. Acceptable file formats are: MPEG (.mpg/.mpeg/.m4v), QuickTime Movie (.mov), AVI (.avi), and Windows Media Video (.WMV). Producer particularly recommends MPEG4 (MPG) compression types (CODECS) such as H.264, DivX, Xvid, and AVC. Entry video must be in English. The recommended length is up to 1 minute. Message and data rates may apply for videos submitted via mobile device; Entrants are responsible for all fees incurred through their wireless device associated with participation in this Contest. Please consult your wireless service provider for details regarding your message and data plan(s). Instructions for uploading the videos can be found on the “FabLab” website at: FabLabTV.com/fabfinder, and on the FabLab Official fan page on Facebook. Entrant understands and agrees his/her video submission may receive exposure on FabLabTV.com and/or other websites, platforms and media as Producer determines in its sole discretion and may be subjected to comments and popularity ratings from the public at large. Producer is not responsible in any manner for any remarks posted by the public pertaining to an Entrant or an Entrant's video. Additional information regarding submissions may be available at FabLabTV.com. Producer reserves the right to edit and/or alter any submission in Producer's sole discretion.
- Producer's decisions regarding all Contest matters are final and non-appealable. All submissions are subject to the terms of these rules and all Entrants agree to be bound by these rules and Producer's decisions.
- Producer is not responsible for Internet system and hardware failures; delayed, incomplete or unsuccessful transmission of video or other entry information; technical malfunctions of any kind; human error; information loss and downtime; or any costs, losses, liability or damages resulting from any such failures. In the event of any such technical difficulty, malfunction or error, Producer reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to take such actions as it deems appropriate in keeping with the fairness and integrity of the Contest, including without limitation a determination to take no action.
- Entrant must be a student 13 years of age or older as of the date of entry. Written parental consent will be required for persons under 18 for their entries to be considered.
- After submission of your video, it must be exclusive to Whizbang Productions, and you must be able to grant to Producer all rights set forth in the consent forms and/or other releases as required by Producer (collectively, the “Releases”).
- Each Entrant acknowledges and agrees that competing submissions may or may not have received exposure in any or all types of media, including without limitation social media sites, news, and entertainment sites (collectively, the “Media”) prior to their submission to FabLab. Entrant understands, agrees and assumes the risk of any such Media exposure of competing submissions, whether or not commensurate with that of their own submissions. Entrant explicitly acknowledges and agrees that the Releases given by Entrant shall cover any claim, expense or liability arising from or relating to such Media contact or exposure, or the lack thereof.
- Each Entrant acknowledges and agrees that his/her submission may or may not receive exposure in any or all types of media, including without limitation social media sites, news, and entertainment sites (collectively, the “Media”), that competing submissions may receive more or less exposure in the Media subsequent to submission to FabLab, and that Producer and/or third parties may initiate, assist or cooperate with Media requests or exposure in connection with any submission(s). Entrant understands, agrees and assumes the risk that Media exposure of his/her submission, if any, may not be the same or commensurate with that of other competing submissions. Entrant explicitly acknowledges and agrees that the Releases given by Entrant shall cover any claim, expense or liability arising from or relating to such Media contact or exposure, or the lack thereof. Entrant agrees that he/she will not seek Media exposure for his/her submission, and he/she will report all requests for interviews or any other direct or indirect Media contact to Whizbang Productions for approval, in Producer's sole discretion, prior to participating in any interview or other Media contact.
- In addition to the rights granted when uploading submissions to FabLabTV.com, or any other electronic form of submission, Entrants whose videos are chosen for possible inclusion in an episode of FabLab must sign a Talent Release and Indemnity in the form presented by Producer. Any submission containing third party content may be subject to disqualification. All persons submitting a video or appearing in or heard in a video must sign the applicable Release(s) (which shall, among other things, grant to Producer the ownership rights in the video(s) and the right to use such person's name, voice and likeness in any manner, commercial or otherwise, and in any and all media and/or technologies whether now known or hereafter devised throughout the universe and in perpetuity, including, without limitation, for programming, promotional and advertising purposes) before the submission can be eligible for selection. A legal guardian must sign the Release forms for minors. Failure to provide requested Releases and/or consents will result in disqualification of Entrant. These Release forms will be provided by the Producer following video submission. Notwithstanding the foregoing, and without limitation of the rights granted to Producer, the submission of a video constitutes the Entrant's permission to use the video and the name, voice and likeness of the Entrant, as well as the Entrant's representation that he/she has obtained all necessary permissions and approvals to use the video and the name, voice and likeness of all persons appearing in the video, in and in connection with FabLab and any and all other exploitations thereof or otherwise, including, without limitation, for programming, advertising and promotional purposes, in all media and/or technologies, now known or hereinafter created.
- Each submission must be solely the original work of Entrant(s)/submitter(s) and/or each Entrant represents that his/her submission does not infringe on any third party's copyrighted material trademark or other intellectual property rights, or privacy or publicity rights.
- By submitting an entry, each Entrant agrees to release, discharge, defend and hold harmless Whizbang Productions, LLC., the broadcasters/distributors of “FabLab”, Steve Rotfeld Productions, The Good Entertainment Foundation, Lenovo Group, Ltd. and each of their respective parent, subsidiary and affiliated companies and each of their respective licensees, assigns, officers, directors, employees, members, partners, agents and representatives (collectively, the “Released Parties”), from and against any claim, expense or liability arising from or related to submission, exhibition or exploitation of the entry, participation in this Contest, appearance on FabLab (including any travel or activity related thereto).
- Each Entrant agrees that his/her participation and submission shall be governed by and construed under and in accordance with the laws of the United States and of the State of California applicable to contracts entered into and wholly performed therein. Each Entrant consents and agrees to the exclusive jurisdiction and venue of the federal and state courts of the State of California, located in the County of Los Angeles. Any claims shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action, and all such claims shall be limited to actual out-of-pocket costs incurred, but in no event to include attorneys' fees.
- Any and all disputes that arise with respect to this Agreement and concerning this Agreement, including the scope or applicability of this agreement to arbitrate, shall be determined by final and binding arbitration under the applicable rules of the Judicial Arbitration and Mediation Service. l hereby waive any and all rights to litigate any such dispute in court and waive the right to have my case decided by a jury. The arbitration shall be conducted in the County of Los Angeles, State of California, and except as herein expressly provided otherwise, the arbitration shall be governed by and subject to the laws of the State of California and the then prevailing rules of the Judicial Arbitration and Mediation Service.
- Five (5) winners will be selected from the final judging round. Each winner will receive a Lenovo Yoga 900 13 Touch-screen Laptop computer award (approximate retail value: $1,200.00) and become an official FabLab reporter. As such winner(s) will appear in STEM related video content as determined by the Producers. At the Producers discretion, winners will be required, at the Producer's expense, to appear on the FabLab television show, FabLabTV.com website, and or FabLab social media channels.
- Videos will be judged by Producer on the basis of originality and/or uniqueness. Examples of videos that will be considered include those showing science, technology, engineering and math being applied, demonstrated, or explained, in diverse and innovative ways to make the world a better place.
Producer will select videos for inclusion in FabLab as follows:
- Each video will be assigned a number, and logged in.
- Producer's representatives will conduct an initial review (the “Initial Review”) of all submissions and will (as determined by Producer in its sole discretion) advance those videos reflecting a sufficient level of originality to warrant further consideration. Any video which does not advance past Initial Review will be rejected for use as a contestant video at that time. Producer reserves the right to reevaluate any submission at any time, but has no obligation to do so.
- Producer will post, or otherwise publically display on FabLabtv.com and FabLab social media channels its selection of submissions that Producer determines will be voted on over the Internet by the general public. Such votes will be considered heavily when the Finalists are selected by Producer.
- The deadline date for the 2016 FabLab season is 12:00AM PST on May 4, 2016. Check these rules on FabLabTV.com frequently for updates. All videos must be received by Producer on or before the applicable deadline date and time to be eligible.
- All entrants must sign all general Releases and other documents in the form provided by Producer or be eliminated from consideration in the Contest and declared ineligible. Releases will include, among other things, a statement that the videos were the exclusive property of the entrant(s) at the time they were submitted.
- Releases must be obtained from all identifiable persons depicted, seen or heard in the videos, as well as the person(s) who recorded the video. A parent or guardian must sign the Release forms for minors.
- For more information go to FabLabTV.com.